Male gamers unsure why bitches don’t like video game culture

Just some of the positive female role models now commonplace in video games.

Male gamers are increasingly concerned that despite ground-breaking advances in boob physics and a remarkable rise in the number of super-hot female protagonists, many bitches just aren’t that into video games.

With the noble attempts of developers failing to draw in the skirt, gamers are increasingly worried that there might be something about video game culture itself that females find utterly repugnant. However, attempts to identify what this might be have so far drawn a blank, leading some male gamers to speculate that disinterested babes might just be “having their period”.

“I’d love to see more poontang getting into gaming but something is clearly putting them off”, said PussaaayMagnet25, a GameSpot.com forum member. “You’d assume girls would be grateful that video games now feature many strong female characters with enormous breasts but, believe it or not, a lot of them still don’t seem that interested in our hobby. I guess it just demonstrates that women are basically crazy”.

Speaking exclusively to The Daily Pixel, a kinda cute female gamer explained why she and other hotties found some elements of video game culture offensive. Unfortunately we didn’t listen.

52 Comments

1. I wonder how many won’t realize the point this piece is really making :)

• Unfortunately, this article’s satire will fly over the heads of most. :(

• I would hope that the satire in this piece is mammary smackingly obvious.

It’s not exactly subtle, but then neither is some of the sexism in the video games the article is probably referring to.

There’s plenty of positive role-model female characters too though, take Chell from portal for example, so it’s not all as horrendous as it’s being made out to be.

• Hate to break it to you, but Chell isn’t a positive role model. Not to pin too much on you but I’ve heard her name a lot.If a character who’s considered a strong role model for women is a speechless self-insert avatar is the first that comes to mind for people, then it is just as horrendous as it’s made out to be

• How is Chell not a positive roll model? She destroys a snarky/menacing AI once, and then later traps that same AI in a potato the next time it comes a-knockin’, using nothing but her wits (and a portal gun). So what if she’s speechless, all Valve’s characters are. Being speechless makes Gordon Freeman (who by the way aided in resisting an alien invasion) none less awesome, or a worse roll model. Besides, it is explicitly stated in a comic set in the Portal universe that the reason Chell was chosen to oppose Glados by Ratman was because she showed an inability to give up. How is that not positive?

• That’s a progression of a game. Chell is an avatar for the player. She has no personality other than the fact she does not give up. And that’s an informed trait, if you weren’t told she was stubborn it would not change the gameplay at all.

In short, she’s not positive role because she’s hardly a character. She’s a name and a face assigned to a player. She’s not a Jade, Sarah Kerrigan, or Bonnie McFarlane. Just because Portal is a good game, doesn’t mean that she’s a good character.

• Alyx Vance would then fit all of your requirements then, correct?

• You really haven’t finished Portal have you? Yes she is an avatar, she is also the main character, She also progesses against a computer AI (female) that is bad to the bone and has influenced games time over. “the cake is not real”

Lara Croft in the early years, Alien VS Predator the LT on the mic, The sum of us, L4D characters, Final Fantasy Characters, etc

• Ok now make a list of the male characters…

Not only are female characters few and far between, there are problems with most of the ones you mention. The woman in portal never even speaks (might as well have been a guy), l4d has virtually no character development either. Even mentioning Lara Croft and her 40DD’s suggests you don’t really get the argument. They do exist, but they’re incredibly few and far between, which is why female gamers are too.

The strongest argument for the existence of gender bias in video games is the comment section of any article talking about it. Which is exactly the point this article was making in the first place.

• Molly Connolly says:

Even the strong female characters are objectified. Samus Aran, without her power suit, is just another blonde with impossibly nice boobs.

• thats a little arguable, since she’s still shown to be an adequite fighter w/o the suit. Heck, in mission 0, you fight to GET the suit in the first place, with samus in zero suit form.

• It’s so inanely apparent that the article is more hurtful then helpful, so I can’t see how anyone can miss it.

• Oh you mean the fact that most jap’s like to beat their tiny-ass wanks off to 3D anime characters with breasts the size of friggin Printers?
      and 13-17 yearolds, (sometimes older) all sharing the same line: GET BAK N DA KISHHEN HERP DERP!

• I completely get it. It’s not like it’s subtle. Unfortunately, being funny and being subtle are not the same thing as being right nor are they the same thing as proving a case.

Still brought a smile to my face though.

2. A little tip for you young boys, it isn’t that there is strong woman heroine, its in the presentation of that character. Some girls have self image issues and you pawn off a bbw heroine in a game? How sexist is that?

Also most of the games are competition or combat related, where women enjoy small strategy like tripple town featured on G+ or The Sims.

Women are not as competitive as guys… want girls? Change your mindsets boys.

• Just a heads up, I’m female, and I absolutely love first person shooters. And many of my female friends love competitive games too.

Yes, a big beautiful women as the main protagonist would be awesome, but I personally would be just as happy, if not more so, with a protagonist where it doesn’t matter if they’re male or female, and the female’s clothes don’t reveal any more or less than the male’s.

Also, no one should have to change to find a good partner, gaming or otherwise.

Some guys love games like The Sims. Some girls love games like Grand Theft Auto. Some people like both, or neither.

Saying women are not as competitive as men is just as sexist as making every female in a game have Barbie/Anime proportions.

• yewsernaim says:

This is me giving my full support to this persons comment. I love FPS. I get very competitive in them but also just have a lot of fun. I have a strong conviction regarding sex in general, but good game play is good game play. My husband, who is a gamer, is respectful of my convictions, but I don’t push them on him. I’m annoyed by games that make sex the focus, but if its what sells what can I really say? I don’t play it. I can see both arguments to the Chell debate and honestly, if I considered this hypothetically, I would rather have Chell by my side than any other strong, successful woman…if we were being attacked by zombies or robots.

• “I also think games like The Sims are for children with over protective parents and architectural students.”

Awesome, so now women gamers feel the need to be elitist and macho too, that’s a real improvement. I agree with your overarching point but the HURR HURR CASUALS shit is just so grating and old.

• Like the female version of Shephard in Mass Effect? The armor is the same regardless of gender.

• You play Halo Or CoD or both?
        Or maybe, ever heard of planetside 2?

The best goddamn thing ever since… THE BEST GODDAMN THING EVER !

• Ok, first to the rest of the ladies out there getting angry, this article is to show men the issue. Secondly, relax a bit, I am a female gamer. I have been a gamer for about 27 years. The sexism has actually gotten worse over the last 10 – 15 years. It is a constant thing. We just have to make calm informed comments about it to get it to change. If you get angry and ticked off you will only make matters worse. And yes we women can be just as competitive as men. Not all men are competitive not all women are either. Competitive is what it is. I play WoW, Star Wars Old Republic, and Diablo III. I played all the Kings Quest games from the first to the last ( I still even own them). I am very competitive. I stopped playing WoW because the raiding was cheapened so that everyone could get the gear even if they didn’t raid. What is the fun of getting gear anyone can get? Do I like the fact that even the protagonist women have been turned into sex objects? No. But we need to let the programmers know we are out here and enjoying the game to. Then we can get things we like. Oh and ladies, there are many female gamers that intentionally create sex object characters to get attention. They understand how easy men are and exploit it. Yes, I would like to be able to make a nice looking female avatar that is not a slut. And I do my best to create those characters. Keep telling the developers we are out here and eventually things will change. It takes time and effort but we can change things.

• honestly I find my fellow women to be largely MORE competitive and cutthroat than the guys. The men are just joking around and waving Epeen, whilst we are, in many cases, seriously in it to win and win hard.

I find that to be one of the causes of the throw away sexism towards female gamers especially when we’re kicking bottoms in FPS. The guys aren’t keen on being dominated in skill so they resort to trying to dominate us with trash talk.

Except some of the biggest trolls i’ve met in browser gaming are also the women :D funny world eh?

3. Hey there I’m a women, and I’m competitive and love first Person shooters and third person. I also love RPGS (Role playing games) I also have been a few guys that said I couldn’t bet them.

So Please don’t say women are not as competitive.

4. Remember Madison Page. More games like that.

5. James Donnelly says:

One word: FemShep.

• This. Just in general – give me a female version of the main character who is just as badass as the male version.

6. It’s like “The Onion: Gaming Edition.” Awesome!

7. Again a nice article and so true.

@Annie it is a satire, so it does not have to be (nearly) all women. Just look out of your window and try to assume which one does play games(facebook does not count).

A friend of mine always beats me in fighting games and racers. :D

8. Absolutely love this article and wish the author was credited so I could distribute beer accordingly! Delicious. Absolutely delicious. Wish it was longer!

9. Digital Dame says:

Interesting read, totally got lulz from the fake username :P

10. Totally agree, however, participating females in gaming is at 42% according to the ESA (america), not far from 50/50 and similar in Australia, so girls could be either just ignoring it or getting something better elsewhere, e.g. star craft.

Personally I just think the gaming industry just can’t see the potential in catering for a broader gaming culture. Where is the male eye candy? Ever checked out Granado Espada. They have hot characters for girls and guys. Korean pop culture and the american tween industry are benefiting from understanding what girls want. Not saying it should go that way tho.

• Reigne Irkalla says:

Woohoo GE!! Long live male Scouts!! <3

Fer reals more game companies need to look at what's popular in Korea ;) it's insane the amount of money a chick will spend to get her male Scout a certain sexy outfit – insane, and profitable for the company. Those guys know what they're doing.

• how much of these gamers that they count only play facebook games is my question. How do they poll for this statistic, how big is the sample and what do they consider gaming?

11. Pingback: Parody article shows cluelessness | Airborne Gamer

12. Nikolai Axelander says:

You can’t please everyone.

13. If you don’t know this is satire, the “bitches” is your first clue. Personally, I would love to see more yaoi video games. ;)

14. Honestly, I couldn’t care less what the protagonist looks like. Sure, it might be a bit annoying when every single female character is sexualised, but that really isn’t always the case. Samus, for example.

I’m a girl and I will play almost any genre. I play for the story and the gameplay, not based on what the protagonist looks like or whether it is male or female, and I’d never let that get in the way of a good game.

15. As a “strong female character with enormous breasts” myself, this is freaking hilarious.

Chell is a good role model. She solves puzzles and doesn’t go all melty when she sees sparkly vampires. Her end goal isn’t marriage. You play as her, rather than female love interest her. gtg :D

16. You need to republish this for April 1st.

17. Ok so..how to put this..in as less a insulting way as possible..it’s fine if people say..why aren’t girls “into” gaming, but ask yourself is there actually ANYTHING that girls are “into” that men aren’t just wayyy better at and thus more “into” ? Outside of the pure biological function that defines a man or a woman,I just can’t think of anything humanity has created in recorded history where woman were better at then men or more “into”.let’s face it woman will always be a “minority” in gaming and not that “into it” like they are in every other human pursuit or activity.

• And people might think like..ok..woman are really good at throwing tantrums,playing mind games and generally being vengeful bitches.But gay men are like a woman on steroids in all those things.It’s like a woman wears makeup? Trust me a gay man in drag he will out makeuppy a woman every time.It’s just that we are biologically designed to fend of the lions as you run across the steppes holding the baby.We are biologically designed to be superior at any given task that how we managed to get out of Africa.And no I’m not against woman not being involved in anything just don’t have high expectations.

• I would argue that you personally seem to be biologically driven to be an idiot. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t create games for you. In fact, the videogame industry seems to be creating games aimed at morons at a rapidly increasing rate.

• Here comes the troll again, strumming on the thread like an ameoba, strumming on the thread to get a angry reaction.. . . . . . .

• Wow, this is like somebody tried to begin their trolling career by using Google Translate to vomit forth a few cliche sexist phrases. Good job!

18. I’d just like to put forward that the lead character in Mirror’s Edge is a strong female character who is attractive but not objectified. She’s athletic and wears appropriate clothing. Unfortunately she is the exception and not the standard. Hopefully we can get more women like her in games!

19. I find this article somewhat patronising, contrived and immature. Yes in many games women are sexualised but this is for exactly the same reasons as in TV and Cinema. In fact I would say the video games industry has made a better attempt than TV and Cinema (although not much better) to appeal to a female gamers. There are many games with female protagonists (that are not overly sex-up), here is 10:

1 D’arci Stern (Urban Chaos)
    2 April Ryan (The Longest Journey)
    3 Jade (Beyond Good & Evil)
    4 Ellen (Folklore)
    5 Alexandra Roivas (Eternal Darkness: Sanity’s Requiem)
    6 Kate Walker (Syberia 1 & 2)
    7 Commander Shepard (Mass Effect)
    8 Samus Aran (Metroid)
    9 Rebecca Chambers (Resident Evil 0)
    10 Jill Valentine (Resident 1)

Today with the cost and difficulty of making video games being so great publishers are sticking to what they know works, violence and sex. This is the reason why video game culture is male orientated and not men’s insistence at fiddling with themselves over Lara croft.

• So you can name 10 games starring female characters? Bravo. Guess how many games are out there starring male characters? A hell of a lot more. And guess how many more games out there not only don’t star female character leads/female character options but also portray women/sexuality in a derogatory and misogynistic fashion? I don’t think this article is blaming male gamers for the video game industry’s portrayal of women. I think this article is pointing out that the video game industry contains a lot of misogynistic and sexist content, and that male gamers should probably stop trying to make excuses about this/pretend it doesn’t exist or promote it as though it should exist and is just a given in gaming culture.

20. I’m a girl and I game. There is nothing about games itself that puts girls off (ok so some are squirmish when it comes to blood). It’s the gamers behind the controllers that put us off, aka GUYS.

No offense but most gamers are sore losers AND sore winners. It doesn’t matter what game you play, but there is only so much bashing a girl can take before she gives up. It takes time and practice to get good at a game, most girls are overly discouraged before they even get good enough to have fun. Even if the game isn’t an MMO, their guy friends or god forbid, boyfriends, will still laugh at them if they happen to not be as good as the SHOULD. And no, girls don’t function on the same ‘then i’ll get so good so that they can’t put me down anymore’ mindset than guys. There are after all, more things in life.

So no, the video games themselves are not to be blamed. I don’t really care if a game has a strong female character, it’s a GAME, whether or not the computer generated pixel being goes around whacking monsters with boobs or without isn’t going to affect how enjoyable a game is. Want more girls to game? Make the gaming scene more receptive of girls.

21. You don’t see us guys complaining about the impossibly tall, impossibly buff, impossibly attractive, impossible badass, impossibly smart, impossibly rich male video game characters either.
    We don’t complain about bruce wayne/batman.
    We don’t complain about Tony Stark.
    Or Link. Or any of the street fighter characters.

Kratos objectifies men! Wahhhh he makes us look like mindless amoral killing machines! I’m going to bitch about it!

And a lot of those japanese games are made in a different culture than erotophobia-land. I swear your fig leaf campaign… People are so unwilling to look beyond the veil of ignorance of their own culture.

The very first Metroid game didn’t even tell you Samus Aran was a woman until the very end! They did this to break the narrow minded view of male only heroes (also Metroid was heavily influenced off of Alien.)
    They only started bimbo-izing her in other M (and brawl).

To be fair Lara Croft wasn’t even designed to have humongous breasts, that was an accident that they opted to keep in to make more money.

Us guys don’t complain when you women buy your romance books and movies with impossibly perfect, selfless, attractive, loyal, males (let’s not forget they are always rich).

And to top it off women will deny using their body or sex or looks to get what they want…(why wear make up? why wear heels? why wear a push up bra?)

If you want strong female lead characters in movies or games, then become a game designer. Go to college for it, learn how, do the hard work involved to get into the business and go on your moral crusade. It’s easy to judge it from your computer chair. But remember it’s a business.

Ever since the dawn of time we have created our heroes in our stories with traits we couldn’t possibly achieve. Male and female. Men are just as objectified as women. YOu think we honestly care that Nathan Drake always gets the girl, that he can fight 100 guys and walk away? No. It’s a fun game. It’s unrealistic. We know it’s make believe.

A lot of these games with scantily clad female characters are narketed at gamers that have no luck with the ladies in real life. Skinny and ugly nerds that girls won’t even look at twice.

I’m done with this rant.
    Bye

• Look at the list of traits you’ve outlined for male video game protagonists here:

Men: impossibly badass, impossibly smart,impossibly buff — and best of all— “gets the girl”

Here’s what women often get to be in video games:

Women: boobs and ass

You really don’t see the difference? The male protagonist gets to be powerful, make decisions, conquer people. The woman gets to “be gotten” by the man. She gets to be a hot piece of ass in a ridiculous tiny outfit. She is not portrayed as a real person, but as an OBJECT for male pleasure.

22. Maybe they’re repulsed because gamers in general are little dumbfucks. Just a thought.